As parents we all dread the moment when our fur-baby has an accident or becomes ill. Unfortunately not a lot of people are prepared for that moment. I know I wasn’t. I just figured whatever Jack needs we can probably use the human equivalent. That’s true for some things, but not all. And honestly I don’t normally have all of the emergency medical supplies that I may need for myself in the house anyway. This past week I decided it was time to get prepared for unforseen accidents because they do happen, and I would never forgive myself if something happened to my sweet fur baby. I made a list of what I think are the basic emergency supplies every pet parent should have on hand.
Buy normal human gauze. I opted for the large sizes to be able to cut for many different sizes of wounds instead of buying many different sizes. You can get no name brands at target for as low as $2.50. If you are going to buy large sizes, be sure to have scissors in your kit (they’re a good idea anyway). Along with the gauze you will need wraps to fasten them. Be sure to buy non-adhesive type bandages. You can buy Pawflex brand (they have a lot of neat products)direct from their website for $5.00-$15.00. I bought 3M brand on sale from Petsmart for $8.00.
You should have a type of disinfectant cream in your kit. I used Polysporin which is pet friendly and can be found pretty much anywhere, and Hydrogen Peroxide.
Hydrogen Peroxide can also be used to induce vomiting in dogs in cases of accidental ingestion. The general rule of thumb is: 1 milliliter (ml) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per pound of dog weight, using either the syringe or teaspoon. (You can also dissolve salt in water and attempt that as well). It is a good idea to talk to a veterinarian before attempting to induce vomiting in your dog. You could also call your local pet poison control hotline.
Sterile saline solution such as Visene can be used to flush out your pets eyes in case of infection or foreign object i.e. dirt. Visene or Re-Nu can often be found at the dollar store for just $3.00
Can be an oral or rectal thermometer, though most vets recommend a rectal thermometer because an oral thermometer can be bitten, or swallowed. They also make thermometers specifically for pets ears. If you are using a rectal thermometer you should note that some viruses found in dogs feces cannot be killed by alcohol so you will want to disinfect with bleach. You should also keep vaseline on hand as it will make it easier to insert. I bought a pet rectal thermometer on sale for $10.00 at Petsmart. The normal temperature for a dog is 100-102F.
It is a good idea to have important information in a waterproof bag in case of an emergency. If the power is out, cell phone towers are down, or you lose internet you may not be able to access valuable information that may save your pets life. Good things to have on hand are: Dog CPR instructions, Dog Heimlich maneuver instructions, emergency contact numbers, phone numbers and addresses of the closest emergency vet hospital, microchip or identification numbers, vaccination information
Also a great thing to have on hand for your dog and they’re actually pretty cheap. I bought mine for $7.00 at Petsmart. You could also use tweezers but they are more difficult to ensure removal of the entire tick.
Important to have on hand in case your accidentally cut the quick (vein in your dogs toenail) while cutting your dogs nails. Styptic powder can stop the bleeding instantly! It can, however, be expensive often $15.00 or more. Instead of styptic powder I put a small jar of flour in my first aid kit. You can also use baking soda or cornstarch.
Other things to have on hand
-old credit cards to aid in the removal of insect stingers
– cookies to calm or distract your dog
– small flashlight
-Benadryl or other antihistamine in case of allergic reaction.
Recommended dosage 1 mg per pound
-Muzzle or cloth that can be fashioned in to one. Even the most calm dog can become aggressive and agitated when in pain. You may need a muzzle to protect yourself, in order to help your dog.
– Dog first aid book
– Waterproof container to store it all in
– Rags in case your need to put pressure on a wound
– Hot/cold packs
If you don’t want to make the kit yourself you can buy them in pet stores or online for anywhere from $16.00-$40.00 on amazon. If you are interested in learning more about pet first aid I would recommend taking a course. The St. John Ambulance offers pet first aid courses for as little as 100$ in most major cities across Canada. Remember, To be prepared is half the victory!
If you liked this article we recommend you read Blue Toes!
or Instagram at: SassyJackks
or Facebook at: Sassy Jack’s