Jack is always surprising us, and this week was definitely no different! On Wednesday evening Nathan, being home alone, brought home take out chicken wings for dinner. He ate his wings at the table, he got up to go to the rest room, aware of Jack eyeing down the bowl and pushed it to the back of the table against the wall where it should have been safe. Unfortunately Jack is getting much more brazen these days, and Nathan returned to the kitchen to find Jack standing on top of the kitchen table scarfing down wings!
Everyone knows that chicken wings can be dangerous, but Jack wasn’t showing any immediate emergency signs so we decided to observe him for a bit before we panicked. Sure enough he had a coughing fit and we had to rush him to emergency to be poked and prodded and x-rayed. Things looked relatively okay the vet thinks he just irritated his throat more than anything so she sent us home with medicine to coat his digestive track, and fiber rich food to help push everything out (And yes, back yard clean up has been an absolute nightmare).
He is doing fine now, and everything has passed, but in light of our scare I decided to compile a list of foods that dogs should never eat!
1. Chicken bones: They are hard to digest, but particulaly dangerous when cooked because they become dry and brittle and can splinter off. Eating chicken boens can cause choking, clogged bowells, and internal bleeding. If your dog does eat chicken bones you can feed them fibery food, or bulky food to help them to pass them. It is important to keep an eye on them for at least the next 72 hours or until you see the chicken bones pass. If your pooch exibits any abnormal mood swings or manerisms, is irritable, has blood in their stool, is choking, or seems to be constipated you need to contact your veterinarian immediately
2.Citrus: The stems, leaves, peels, fruit and seeds of citrus plants contain varying amounts of citric acid, essential oils that can cause irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression if ingested in significant amounts. Small doses, such as eating the fruit, are not likely to present problems beyond minor stomach upset, but it is best to avoid giving it to your dog at all. If your begins to exibit flu like symptoms and vomiting contact your vetrinarian immediately.
3. onions, garlic, or any vegetables in that family in any form (fresh, powedered, raw, dehydrated). They contain a toxin called thiosulphate that can destroy a dogs red blood cells and lead to haemolytic anemia. Dogs have been known to show symptoms immediately such as vomitting and diarhea moving into lethargy, and breathlessness. I wouldn’t worry if fido accidentally cleans up an onion piece your dropped on your floor, but if Fido eats a quarter of a cup or more or exibits any symptoms it is best to contact your vetrinarian. Depending on the size of the dog, they will have further instruction on the best course of action.
4. Grapes and raisons can cause kidney failure, even small amounts. It normally happens within a few days, and vomitting can start within a few hours. If your dog eats grapes the normal course of action is to induce vomitting. The vetrinarian may want to do it or they may instruct you to do it if time is of the essese. You should always always ALWAYS wait for vetrinarian instruction before inducing vomitting. If it is done improperly it can cause perminant damage to organs, and your dogs esophagus.
5. Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. as little as 6 can poison your dog causing muscel tremors, weakness, hypothermia or paralysis of the hind quarters. Symptoms can appear within 12 hours and last up to 48. Normally your dog will have to be admitted to hospital. There is no specifit treatment but the usualy course of action involves introvenus fluids for hydration, anti pain and fever medication, and active charcoal to bind the tocin in the intestines and prevent further absorbtion.
If you would like to know more about which foods may be bad for fido or your other pets the ASPCA websites poison control sector is an excellent rescourse.